Metal-Free Restorative Dentistry: Safe and Reliable Restorations for a Healthy, Beautiful Smile
When you want dental work, you need it to do more than just look great—of priority, it has to be as safe as possible. Otherwise, fixing one problem only to introduce another doesn’t make sense. We understand this at Richard D. Weigand, DDS, in Spokane, Washington! We take a natural approach to dentistry by providing satisfactory results without jeopardizing your health. With alternative non-toxic materials, we offer dental restorations like fillings and crowns that provide durable, lifelike, and safe results.
What are Non-Metal Restorations Made Of?
Traditionally, metal has been the gold standard for making dental restorations. While metal is durable and strong, it has numerous drawbacks. First off, metal doesn’t blend in perfectly with your natural smile. When installed in your mouth, it stands out, resulting in a “fake” look. Secondly, metal has numerous safety concerns:
- It expands and contracts when subjected to temperature changes
- It yields side effects for patients allergic to metal
- Metal restorations, like amalgam fillings, can leak mercury vapors detrimental to your health
Dr. Richard Weigand and the team clearly understand the mouth-body connection. What goes in the mouth affects your overall health. For this reason, our dental restorations are made from biocompatible, non-toxic materials. We utilize health-friendly materials like porcelain and BPA-safe composite resin to engineer your fillings, inlays, crowns, and other dental restorations.
Who is a Candidate for Metal-Free Restorations?
Generally, if you are health conscious, you should consider metal-free dentistry to reap the benefits now and in the long term. More specifically, a metal-free restoration would be suitable if you:
- Have an old metal restoration you would like to be replaced for safety and esthetic reasons
- Are allergic to metal
- Have decayed or damaged teeth and don’t like the idea of metal restorations
- Need a dental filling and are concerned about the presence of mercury in traditional fillings
If you are unsure whether metal-free dentistry is right for you, the only way to find out is by scheduling an appointment with Dr. Weigand.
Benefits of Metal-Free Dental Restorations
The obvious benefit of metal-free restorations is that they are natural-looking. Porcelain or composite resin material can be color-matched to blend perfectly with the patient’s surrounding dentition. The other benefits of metal-free restorations include:
- Durable: Your mercury-free filling may not be made of metal, but it can last many years with proper care. Better yet, porcelain restorations are stain-resistant, so you can expect them to look brand new for a long time.
- Faster treatment: You don’t need several dental appointments to benefit from metal-free restorations. Composite restorations only require one appointment. While porcelain dental work may require at least two appointments, the overall procedure is pretty quick.
- Safety: With non-metal restorations, you don’t have to worry about your appliances expanding and contracting as temperatures change. Besides, you don’t have to be concerned with mercury poisoning symptoms that can be experienced with metal restorations.
- Conservative: Our natural dentistry aims to conserve as much of your natural tooth as possible. Metal and mercury-free restorations help us achieve this milestone because we take out a small portion of your teeth, whether a veneer or filling, to avoid messing up your tooth’s integrity structure.