Spokane WA dentist treats the source of TMJ Dysfunction, to provide lasting pain relief
Pain in the jaw and related structures is a leading cause of disability; in 2012, the National Institutes of Health reported that almost 55% of adults had experienced a musculoskeletal pain disorder in the prior year. Damage to the Temporomandibular Joints (TMJ) and connected chewing muscles and teeth is a significant source of pain, as well as other symptoms that affect function and mobility. As a skilled dentist, Dr. Richard Weigand is adept at preventing, diagnosing, and treating conditions that affect these oral structures. So, effective TMJ pain relief in Spokane WA is available at the office of Richard D. Weigand, DDS.
Dr. Weigand has grown his practice, partly, with continuing education in the latest dental techniques and technologies; for instance, he’s studied the far-reaching effects of misaligned teeth and teeth-grinding. These conditions place excessive or uneven pressure on the teeth, which gives rise to wear and tear to natural teeth and dental restorations, as well as to TMJ-oriented symptoms. These symptoms may include:
- Pain in the jaw, face, neck, shoulders, and back
- Limited range of motion, stiffness, and difficulty opening and closing your mouth
- Accompanying popping or clicking sounds when you open and close your mouth
- Muscle fatigue
- Ringing in your ears
- Frequent migraines, especially upon waking
Dr. Weigand understands that real treatment starts by understanding the cause of your symptoms. Other dentists or health care professionals might suggest muscle relaxers or other pain management medications, which only mask symptoms or don’t address the root of the problem for true resolution. Since there are so many potential causes of dysfunction to the TM “hinge” joints on either side of your face, treatment is personalized to each patient. Orthodontic appliances may be in order, or he may need to repair worn restorations. Dr. Weigand has an exceptional track record of successfully treating patients’ TMJ symptoms conservatively, without surgical intervention or continued reliance on pain meds. Treatment may include one or a mix of the following options for jaw pain relief:
- Lifestyle intervention – Dr. Weigand may suggest measures to minimize overuse of your jaw muscles; for instance, some patients have experienced dramatic pain relief by avoiding chewing gum, or other sticky and chewy foods.
- Occlusal therapy – Oral appliances that are customized to your mouth adjust the position of your teeth when the jaws are closed, or your bite. These appliances include oral splints and nightguards. They may be beneficial to balance the neck and jaw muscles and to protect teeth and restorations from damage among “bruxers” who grind their teeth.
- Physical therapy – Special exercises and massage techniques stretch and strengthen jaw muscles, which aids in resolving pain and other TMJ symptoms.
We are confident that our specialized treatment plans will provide lasting pain relief and resolve chronic TMJ problems. Call (509) 485-8620 to schedule your consultation at the Spokane, WA office of Richard D. Weigand, DDS.Back to Blog Page