A discolored or damaged tooth has a big impact on your smile. It can also affect your ability to chew comfortably and speak clearly. Lifelike porcelain dental crowns correct functional and cosmetic flaws. Patients in the Spokane, WA area choose Dr. Richard Weigand for leading edge techniques and a wealth of clinical experience with proven results.
Imperfections that can be addressed with dental crowns
A crown is sometimes called a tooth cap because it covers tooth structure. While crowns can be made of gold, other metals, or a thin shell of porcelain over a metal core, Dr. Weigand finds his patients are most satisfied with lustrous all porcelain crowns. The natural appearance is especially important for a front tooth crown, but modern dental ceramics are strong enough for molar restorations, too.
Dr. Weigand may recommend a tooth crown in these situations:
- Severe tooth decay, leaving a cavity too large to support a composite filling
- Damaged teeth, such as a piece broken off or a significant fracture
- Teeth worn down or damaged from bruxing (clenching and grinding)
- Protect a tooth that has had root canal therapy
- As the finishing restoration on a dental implant to replace a missing tooth
- As anchors for a dental bridge
Porcelain teeth have cosmetic applications, as well. A crown can be placed on a healthy tooth to hide deep discoloration or to improve the shape, size, or enamel finish of a tooth. Call (509) 485-8620 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Weigand to learn more about your options.